Iceland Northern Light Photo Workshop
Join the European Landscape Photographer of the Year on an epic Aurora Photo Workshop in Iceland!
- 19. – 28. February 2017 | €4500 or $5170 | (available)
- Epic Northern Light Shows
- Mesmerizing Blue Ice Cave Tour
- Snæfellsnes: Arnarstapi, Djúpalónssandur, Lóndrangar, Kirkjufell
- Golden Circle: Gullfoss, Geysir, Þingvellir National Park
- Skógafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Secret Lagoon
- Black Sand Beach at Vík, Reynisdrangar, Reynisfjara, Dyrhólaey
- Vatnajökull: Europe’s largest glacier
- Skaftafell National Park: Svínafellsjökull, Skaftafellsjökull
- Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon and Black Sand Beach
- Vesturhorn Mountain and Beach
Winter in Iceland is the perfect time for hunting the Northern Light. Long dark nights with no light pollution in most parts of the country give us the best conditions for shooting the Aurora Borealis. On the other hand the days in February/March are getting longer again offering enough daylight to also experience the snow covered landscapes in wonderful light. Frozen waterfalls, glaciers and mesmerizing Icecaves are the dream of every photographers heart. In contrast to the cold temperatures Hot Pots invite you to linger and rest for a while.
The main focus of this photo workshop is to learn the how to photograph the Northern Light. We will stay up late to hunt them as far as the weather conditions allow to. This photo tour will bring you to the most beautiful places in south and west Iceland in a small group of like-minded photographers guided by the Professional Landscape Photographer of the Year and one of the best Northern Light hunters!
Arrival – Reykjavik
You will be privately picked up at the international airport in Keflavík and transferred to your comfortable hotel in central Reykjavík. Your tour guide will meet you there and go out with you for a Welcome Dinner were you can get to know each other. You will also get further informations for the following days on our exciting tour.
We start the tour in the morning with our comfortable bus and drive from Reykjavik up to Snæfellsnes. This peninsula is about 90km long and known for it´s diverse landscape and magical beauty with the glacier towering over the National Park at the far end. Snæfellsnes offers a huge range of mountains, black and light sand beaches, craters, lava fields, fjords and fishing villages. In the evening we will stop at Kirkjufell, one of the most beautiful mountains of Iceland and a wonderful location for Northern Light photography.
We will spend another day on the Snæfellsnes peninsula to fully experience and enjoy all the beautiful locations it offers and hope for a wonderful Northern Light show in the evening/night. Sometimes optical phenomenons like sun halos and polar stratospheric clouds suddenly appear in the cold sky.
Golden Circle – Secret Lagoon
After two nights on Snæfellsnes we now head to the famous Golden Circle and discover the Þingvellir National Park, the Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir hot spring area. In the evening we can relax our bodies in the hot water of the Secret Lagoon and talk about our impressions from the previous days.
Waterfalls – Vik
Today it’s time to drive on to the magnificent south coast. On our way we will stop at Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss, two spectacular waterfalls. In the evening we will drive to Vík and stop at Dyrhólaey.
Reynisfjara Beach – Dyrhólaey
We will spend another day in the area of Vík to discover the black sand beach at Vík with a great view to Reynisdrangar, the basalt caves of Reynisfjara and we drive again to Dyrhólaey since there are still some places we haven’t seen the day before.
Today we will reach the Vatnajökull glacier and all it’s natural wonders. At a short stop at Dverghamrar we explore two large and striking columnar basalt rock formations, topped with cube-jointed basalt before we continue to the biggest glacier of Europe – the mighty Vatnajökull. Prepare all your memory cards you have – you will need them. Photo subjects as far as your camera can see, in every season, weather and time of day. We will spend the rest of the day at the National Park to experience the glacier very close.
Overnight: 30min from Glacier Lagoon
The Glacial Lagoon Jökulsárlón is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places in Iceland. Therefore we will spend a good amount of time photographing the lagoon and the nearby beach today.
Overnight: 30min from Glacier Lagoon
Vatnajökull Glacier – Vestrahorn
Today we will explore one of the many breathtaking ice caves inside the Vatnajökull glacier. This is definitely an experience you will never forget. The final location of our tour will be Stokksnes with an unbelievable view of Vesturhorn mountain before we take our flight back from Höfn to Reykjavík. We will spend the last evening together at a Good Bye dinner and talk about our unforgettable adventure.
After breakfast at your hotel we bring you to the international airport in Keflavik for your flight back home with tons of beautiful images and memories you will never forget.
Stefan is an Award Winning Professional Photographer from Austria. In 2014 he moved to Iceland for 6 months and gained a very deep knowledge of the country and its culture and language. Since then he traveled back to Iceland several times to visit all the locations he loves so much to see and experience them in different seasons. He has a huge experience in hunting and photographing Northern Lights.
In 2016 Stefan was awarded with the FEP Professional Landscape Photographer of the Year Award with one of his artworks from Iceland. His works has been awarded in many international photo contests and published in photo books and calendars. In his last project he captured the beauty of the Icelandic winter with his photo drone from high up in the air.
Stefan speaks English, German, Dutch and Icelandic. The main language on the tour is English!
- Total Price: €4500 / $5170 per person double occupancy
- Single Room Supplement: €500 / $580
- Registration Deposit: €1000 / $1170
- Payment in Full: 60 days prior to the workshop’s starting date
Number of Participants
- Minimum 6, Maximum 8 Participants
- Smaller groups for extra charge possible
What is included
- Award-Winning professional photo guide
- Transportation in a comfortable, WiFi equipped bus with ample room for you, your luggage and photo gear
- Transfer to and from the airport
- One way flight transfer from Höfn to Reykjavík
- 9 nights accommodation in hotels, guest houses and hostels
- Full board from dinner on arrival day to breakfast on departure day
- Ice Cave Tour at Skaftafell
What is NOT included
- Airfare to and from Iceland
- Snacks and drinks outside of normal meals
- Alcoholic beverages
- Gratuities, though tipping is not customary in Iceland
- International medical and travel insurance
- Other optional activities, tours or entrance fees
What Makes this Tour the Perfect Photo Tour
- Full board: Breakfast, Lunch Boxes (Sandwiches, Fruits and Sweets) and Dinner every day. No need to find a supermarket. That is especially in the country side a big advantage. We can totally concentrate on photography and take as long as we need to get the best shots!
- Plenty of space in the bus: The bus is made for up to 19 persons. Since we are at most 9 persons + driver there is a lot of space for you and all your camera gear!
- WiFi in the bus: do you want to share some images while we are traveling? No problem, there is a WiFi in the bus you can use for free!
- Flight back from Höfn: We save a lot of time and money flying back from Höfn to Reykjavík instead of driving back with the bus. This gives us more time out in the field and the possibility to see Iceland from the air!
- The tour starts after full moon: There won’t be any moon light that disturbs the darkness of the night to see the Northern Lights dancing above our heads!
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Greater than 60 days from the start date of the Workshop: full refund minus € 150 fee
- 45 days or more: 75% refund
- 30 days or more: 50% refund
- Less than 30 days: No refund
Refunds will be paid by the same method that the original payment was made.
Refunds will be initiated within 72 hours of the time that the request is approved.
The weather in Iceland plays an important role on the tour and can be very unpredictable and change within minutes. The itinerary is therefore subject to small changes to get the most out of the tour for you. There is also no guarantee for Northern Lights on all of our tours. They are most likely between September and April but there are so many factors that play an important role (i.e. solar activity, weather conditions, time of day) that we cannot guarantee you Northern Lights at any time!
The tour guide is an international awarded professional landscape photographer who lived in Iceland and knows every place of the tour very well. Different locations are suitable for different weather and light. Your guide will check the weather and aurora forecast every day to bring you at the right time to the right places for perfect photographic conditions. Our bus drivers are locals and have years of experience in bus driving in Iceland. They know the best ways to bring us quick and safe to all locations on our tours.
The tour is organized in cooperation with: